- This event has passed.
GYHD! – Nocturnal Nature Safari
September 27, 2019 @ 6:00 pm - September 28, 2019 @ 12:30 pmFree
Are you a young person that loves getting outside? Want to get your hands dirty caring for local bushland?
Greater Sydney Landcare Network and Tom’s Hooked on Nature are partnering up to host a unique FREE environmental restoration camp out and nighttime nature walk.
The project will involve camping at an exclusive spot in Western Sydney and morning Landcare activities.
Tom from Hooked on Nature will join us to introduce you to the creatures that rule the night. In this experience, guests will be trained to use their own keen senses and unlock the nocturnal world, discovering critters like Tawny Frogmouths (Nocturnal Birds) Owls, Possums, Gliding Possums, Kangaroo’s, Wallabies, Frogs, Reptiles, Turtles, Bats, Insects like you never seen and so much more!
In the morning, by light, we’ll take part in Landcare activities to look after the bushland these critters call home.
– A plate to share for dinner on Friday and your own breakfast for Saturday morning
– A reusable drink bottle for water and at least 2 litres of water
– A tent or swag – we will be camping near our vehicles
– Sleeping mat (or inflatable mattress), sleeping bag & pillow
– Your own cutlery, plate, bowl and cup (or Keepcup)
– Personal toiletries (don’t forget your toothbrush)
– Enough clothes for the weekend, including long sleeves and long pants for Landcare activities
– Sleep wear, something warm, wind-breaker, chilled out clothes
– Raincoat / water proof jacket for all weather conditions
– Sturdy closed in shoes
– Hat, sunscreen, insect repellant
– Music playlist
– Torch / headlamp
– Any medication you need
– Any snacks you might want to bring and share
– Picnic blanket and / or rug, cushion or low chair to sit on
– A sense of adventure
On-site training, PPE, and morning tea on Saturday are provided.
To reserve your place on the project, you must register via Eventbrite.
RSVPS are essential so to avoid disappointment register ASAP.
Instructions on location and exact meeting point will be provided to those who have registered.
Need a lift? Post in the Get Your Hands Dirty group and we’ll help facilitate carpooling.
We acknowledge we will be meeting on Dharug Country and pay our respects to the traditional custodians of this land.