Greater Sydney Landcare values and respects the privacy of the people we deal with. Greater Sydney Landcare is committed to protecting your privacy and complying with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and other applicable privacy laws and regulations.
What is personal information?
“Personal information” means any information or opinion, whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. In general terms, this includes information or an opinion that personally identifies you either directly (for example, your name) or indirectly.
What personal information do we collect?
The personal information we collect about you depends on the nature of your dealings with us or what you choose to share with us. In general, we collect information about people to allow us to communicate with them regarding our organisation, events, and projects.
The personal information we collect about you may include:
- contact details such as name, email address, mailing address or postcode, and phone number/s;
- information provided in relation to your involvement with Greater Sydney Landcare and its projects including Streamwatch, Southwest Sydney Koala Project, Cumberland Plain Restoration Project, Creating Canopies, and others.
- information provided by you in relation to our events that you attended or registered to attend which could include details of an emergency contact, dietary requirements, and your responses to the Health and Safety checklist for event volunteers;
- details of your site if you registered your site for trees through the Creating Canopies program;
- date of birth, if provided to us;
- whether you agree to receive our communications;
- whether you give permission for us to use photos of you in our communications;
- workplace, job title, work address if provided to us;
- name of any affiliated groups such as a Landcare, Bushcare or other group you are a member of, if provided to us;
- how you found out about our organisation or event, if provided to us;
- your interests, if provided to us (in the Membership form);
- credit card information required to process a membership payment or donation;
- feedback from you regarding our events or projects – we typically receive this anonymously;
- IP address, date and time of visit, if automatically collected by our website, Eventbrite, or other online profiles;
- any other information we may require to facilitate our dealings with you.
Under certain circumstances, Greater Sydney Landcare may need to collect sensitive information about you. This might include any information about your affiliation with a religious organisation (if that is the group with which you volunteered with us) and health information that would affect your ability to participate in our event/s (tree planting, for example).
If we collect your sensitive information, we will do so only with your consent, if it is necessary to prevent a serious and imminent threat to life or health, or as otherwise required or authorised by law, and we take appropriate measures to protect the security of this information.
You do not have to provide us with your personal information. Where possible, we will give you the option to interact with us anonymously, such as in feedback forms. However, if you choose to deal with us in this way or choose not to provide us with your personal information, we may not be able to provide you with our services or otherwise interact with you.
How do we collect your personal information?
We collect your personal information directly from you when you:
- interact with us online;
- interact with us over the phone;
- interact with us in person;
- participate in surveys or questionnaires;
- attend (or register to attend) a Greater Sydney Landcare event;
- subscribe to our mailing list/s;
- become a member;
- apply for a position with us as an employee, contractor, or volunteer.
Collecting personal information from third parties
We may also collect your personal information from third parties or through publicly available sources, for example from Landcare Australia, Landcare NSW, or Councils. We collect your personal information from these third parties so that we can provide volunteering services to groups or for other conservation project purposes such as inviting groups and individuals to attend tree planting events.
How do we use your personal information?
We use personal information for many purposes in connection with our functions and activities, including the following purposes:
- provide you with information or services that you request from us;
- deliver to you a more personalised experience and service offering;
- improve the quality of the services we offer;
- internal administrative purposes;
- marketing and research purposes;
- providing catering at events that meets the dietary requirements of volunteers;
- ensuring the safety of volunteers at our events;
- reporting to grant funders.
Disclosure of personal information to third parties
We aim not to disclose your personal information to third parties and seek to avoid it to the best of our ability, including by de-identifying your information before sharing it with third parties. We may disclose your personal information to third parties in accordance with this Policy in circumstances where you would reasonably expect us to disclose your information. For example, we may disclose your personal information to:
- our third-party service providers (for example, our IT providers);
- our professional services advisors;
- our project partners who help deliver conservation projects or refer groups for volunteering;
- our grant funders.
Transfer of personal information overseas
Some of the third-party service providers we store personal information with may be based in or have servers located outside of Australia, including in the United States, Germany, Japan, the United Kingdom, and France.
Where we disclose your personal information to third parties overseas, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that data security and appropriate privacy practices are maintained. We will only disclose to overseas third parties if:
- you have given us your consent to disclose personal information to that third party; or
- we reasonably believe that:
○ the overseas recipient is subject to a law or binding scheme that is, overall, substantially similar to the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) set out in the Privacy Act; and
○ the law or binding scheme can be enforced; or
- the disclosure is required or authorised by an Australian law or court / tribunal order.
How do we protect your personal information?
Greater Sydney Landcare will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information that we hold about you is kept confidential and secure, including by:
- having a robust physical security of our premises and databases / records;
- taking measures to restrict access to only personnel who need that personal information to effectively provide services to you;
- having technological measures in place (for example, anti-virus software, fire walls).
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that a website puts on your device if you allow it.
Our website uses Google Analytics to help us better understand visitor traffic, so we can improve our services. Although this data is mostly anonymous, it is possible that under certain circumstances, we may connect it to you.
We may send you direct marketing communications and information about our services, opportunities, or events that we consider may be of interest to you if you have requested or consented to receive such communications. These communications may be sent in various forms, including email, mail, phone, and SMS in accordance with applicable marketing laws, such as the Australian Spam Act 2003 (Cth). You consent to us sending you those direct marketing communications by any of those methods. If you indicate a preference for a method of communication, we will endeavour to use that method whenever practical to do so.
You may opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us at any time by following the instructions to “unsubscribe” set out in the relevant communication and/or contacting us using the details set out in the “How to contact us” section below.
Greater Sydney Landcare does not use your personal information or disclose your personal information to third parties for the purposes of advertising, including online behavioural advertising, website personalisation, or to provide targeted or retargeted advertising content to you.
Retention of personal information
We will not keep your personal information for longer than we need to. In most cases, this means that we will only retain your personal information for the duration of your relationship with us unless we are required to retain your personal information to comply with applicable laws, for example record-keeping obligations.
How to access and correct your personal information
Greater Sydney Landcare will endeavour to keep your personal information accurate, complete, and up to date.
If you wish to make a request to access and / or correct the personal information we hold about you, you should make a request by contacting us and we will usually respond within 10 working days.
Greater Sydney Landcare employees and/or committee members will review your request, seek proof of your identity, and take the steps required to provide access to the personal information that we hold about you, or to correct that information.
Links to third party sites
Greater Sydney Landcare’s website(s) may contain links to websites operated by third parties. If you access a third-party website through our website(s), personal information may be collected by that third party website. We make no representations or warranties in relation to the privacy practices of any third-party provider or website and we are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of any third-party provider or website. Third party providers / websites are responsible for informing you about their own privacy practices and we encourage you to read their privacy policies.
Inquiries and complaints
For complaints about how Greater Sydney Landcare handles, processes or manages your personal information, please contact email@example.com. Note we may require proof of your identity and full details of your request before we can process your complaint.
Please allow up to 10 working days for Greater Sydney Landcare to respond to your complaint. It will not always be possible to resolve a complaint to everyone’s satisfaction. If you are not satisfied with Greater Sydney Landcare’s response to a complaint, you have the right to contact the Office of Australian Information Commissioner (at www.oaic.gov.au/) to lodge a complaint.
How to contact us
If you have a question or concern in relation to our handling of your personal information or this Policy, you can contact us for assistance as follows:
0438 530 984
Attention: Greater Sydney Landcare Privacy Officer
Address: PO Box 635 Gladesville NSW 1675